The Academy Award is a prestigious award in world cinema. Annually, it is presented by the American Academy of Motion Picture Arts. The first award dates back to the distant 1929 year.
The ceremony is broadcast live around the world. Until 1976, the NBC channel covered this event, and now all rights are transferred to the ABC channel. The Oscar figurine is a knight on a stand made of black marble, covered with gilding.
Date and Place Oscars 2019
Not so long ago, the Oscar 2018 award procedure was held, and the date for the next one has already been set. The 91st ceremony will be held February 24, 2019 in Los Angeles.
The procedure for determining the winners is as follows:
- 7.01.2019 - selection procedure for candidates.
- 01/14/2019 - selection of applicants ends.
- 01/22/2019 - a ceremony will take place at which the nominees for the Oscars 2019 will be presented in a festive atmosphere.
- 02/04/2019 - Reception in honor of applicants for the award.
- 02/12/2019 - the voting will begin.
- 02/19/2019 - end of voting.
- 02.24.2019 - rewarding procedure for winners.
Hosts and Arena
In 2019, the ceremony, as always, will be held at the world famous Dolby Theater cinema center. There is as yet no evidence of who will be honored to host the event because Kevin Hart refused to host the ceremony.
Who picks the nominees
This award is awarded based on the results of the voting of members of the Academy. The academy has more than 5,000 people, on whom the "fate" of the figurine depends. They are divided into 5 categories:
- The producers.
- Service staff.
Each representative has the right to choose only a candidate of a certain category. The general vote is held only in the nomination - "Best Film".
When all the premieres of films over the past year have passed (usually this happens in early January), newsletters are sent to all film academics. These used to be paper forms, now they are available electronically on the Internet. So that no one receives two ballots or an empty envelope, all forms are recounted and numbered several times.
Voters must make a choice and forward the result of the company to the auditor, which is PricewaterhouseCoopers. So the five best in a separate nomination are selected.
How winners are chosen
All participants of the Film Academy take part in the vote for the finalist. Then the auditor company again processes the votes. The results of these calculations are kept secret. The names of the winners are called only at the ceremony, after opening the envelopes with the results.Video plot
Oscar Nominees 2019
The film premiere season has long been open, so there are already potential applicants for the coveted award.
According to experts, the leader in the nomination "Best Motion Picture" is a film - "You've never been here" (You've never been here before). In addition to him, the following works are noted:
- Black Panther.
- Black Clanman.
- Bohemian Rhapsody.
- Green book.
- A star is born.
Actors and actresses
For the title of best actress will compete:
- Yaritsa Aparicio - "Roma" (for the role of Cleo).
- Glenn Close - “Wife” (for the role of Joan Castleman).
- Olivia Colman - “Favorite” (for the role of Queen Anne).
- Lady Gaga - "A Star Is Born" (for the role of Ellie).
- Melissa McCarthy - Can You Forgive Me? (for the role of Lee Israel).
The best actor can be:
- Christian Bale - "Power" (for the role of Dick Cheney).
- Bradley Cooper - "A Star Is Born" (for the role of Jackson Maine).
- Willem Dafoe - "Van Gogh. On the verge of eternity" (for the role of Vincent van Gogh).
- Rami Malek - "Bohemian Rhapsody" (for the role of Freddie Mercury).
- Viggo Mortensen - The Green Book (for the role of Tony Lip).
Critics believe that the title "Best Director's Work" can compete:
- Spike Lee - The Black Clan.
- Pavel Pavlikovsky - The Cold War.
- Yorgos Lantimos - "Favorite".
- Alfonso Cuaron - "Roma".
- Adam Mackay - "Power.
Oscar for Best Screenplay
Category "Best Original Screenplay":
- Deborah Davis and Tony McNamara - "Favorite".
- Paul Schroeder - The Shepherd’s Diary.
- Nick Vallellonga, Brian Curry, Peter Farrelli - The Green Book.
- Alfonso Cuaron - "Roma".
- Adam Mackay - "Power."
Category "Best Adapted Script":
- Joel Cohen and Ethan Cohen - "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs."
- Charlie Vachtel, David Rabinovich, Kevin Willmott and Spike Lee - “The Black Clan”.
- Nicole Holofsener and Jeff Whitty - Can You Forgive Me?
- Barry Jenkins - "If Beale Street Could Talk."
- Eric Roth, Bradley Cooper and Will Fetters - "A Star Is Born."
Oscar for the best music
Category "Best Movie Music":
- Ludwig Joransson - "Black Panther".
- Terence Blanchard - The Black Clan.
- Nicholas Britell - "If Beale Street Could Talk."
- Alexander Despla - "Island of Dogs".
- Mark Shamen - "Mary Poppins Returns.
Category "Best Movie Song":
- All the Stars - Black Panther.
- I'll Fight - "RBG" - music and lyrics: Diane Warren.
- The Place Where Lost Things Go - "Mary Poppins Returns."
- Shallow - "A Star Is Born" - music and lyrics: Lady Gaga, Mark Ronson, Anthony Rossomando, Andrew Wyatt.
- When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings - "Buster Scruggs Ballad" - music and lyrics: David Rawlings and Gillian Welch.
Top visual effects
- Dan Deliyu, Kelly Port, Russell Earle and Dan Sudik - Avengers: War of Infinity.
- Christopher Lawrence, Michael Eames, Theo Jones and Chris Corbould - "Christopher Robin."
- Paul Lambert, Ian Hunter, Tristan Miles and JD Schwalm - "Man on the Moon."
- Roger Guyette, Grady Kofer, Matthew Butler and David Shirk - "First Player Get Ready."
- Rob Bredow, Patrick Tabach, Neil Scanlan and Dominic Tuohi - "Han Solo. Star Wars Tales."
- The Incredibles 2 (Incredibles 2).
- Island of Dogs (Isle of Dogs).
- Mirai from the future (Mirai).
- Ralph Breaks the Internet.
- Spider-Man: Through the Universes (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse).
2018 nominees and winners by category
The 90th anniversary ceremony was held on March 4, 2018. Oscar 2018 winners list
|Best movie||"Form of water"|
|Academy Honorary Award||Charles burnett|
|Producer||Guillermo del toro|
|Camera work||Roger deakins|
|Best Actor||Gary oldman|
|Female role||Francis mcdormand|
|Song||"Remember Me" - "The Secret of Coco"|
|Supporting Role||Sam rockwell|
|Supporting Role||Allison jenny|
|Adapted Script||Call Me By Your Name (James Ivory)|
|Animated film||The Secret of Coco|
|Special effects||"Blade Runner 2049" (Blade Runner 2049)|
|Soundtrack||"The form of water" - Alexander Desplah|
|Decoration||"Form of water"|
|Makeup||"Dark times" (Dark times)|
|Short animated film||Expensive Basketball|
|Short feature film||Silent child|
|Short documentary||"Paradise is a traffic jam on the 405th highway" (Paradise is a cork on the 405th highway)|
|Foreign language film||"Fantastic Woman" - Chile|
Can an ordinary person get into the Oscars?
Many do not want to watch the award from the TV screen, they want to see the presentation with their own eyes. There are several ways to get to the celebration:
- Participate in the invitation draw and win.
- Receive an invitation from the nominee for the award.
- Settle in the hotel "Hollywood Youth Hostel" which overlooks the boulevard on which the Dolby Theater cinema is located.
It is very simple to find out information about the winners, but many are interested in information about the "back of the coin."
During rehearsals of the ceremony, ordinary students go on carpet flooring.
The Oscar figurine is made in the form of a knight standing on a reel of film and holding a sword in his hands. Dimensions of the award: weight - 3.85 kg, stand diameter - 13 cm, height - 34 cm. Enlarged copies of the figurine are placed along the carpet. They have different heights - from 2.5 to 8 meters, they are painted with paint, which in the light of spotlights cannot be distinguished from gold.
After the official part of the ceremony, all participants are invited to a festive reception.
Carpet is divided into several parts. The length of the track is - 150 meters, width - 10 meters. It weighs about 5 tons.
On the seats intended for placement of nominees, their photo portraits with names are fixed. This is done so that someone does not accidentally take someone else's place.
Cards on which the names of the winners are printed for each nomination are placed in envelopes that open on the stage. In total, 2 copies of each envelope are prepared and sent to the place of the ceremony at different times and along different routes. All this is kept in the strictest confidence.