Oven-baked lamb leg - 4 delicious recipes
Mutton has always been considered a delicacy of oriental cuisine. Recently, this variety of meat began to develop the western territories. In the 21st century, it is easy to purchase such a variety in a butcher's shop. Meet the heroine of today's article, a lamb leg baked in the oven.
Lamb is fatty and high-calorie meat, and the least fat is in the lamb leg. That is why it is excellent for preparing delicious dishes.TIP! When buying a leg of lamb, carefully look at the fat layer, which acts as an indicator of freshness. Light fat - fresh meat. Fat yellowish tint - it is better to refuse to buy, because this is a signal of old age.
If you want to cook a perfectly tasty lamb leg at home, be sure to listen to the advice of oriental kitchen masters. Only they are well versed in the intricacies of the preparation of the considered delicacy.
- Use the leg of a young lamb. Of course, finding the carcass of a young animal is extremely problematic, but it's worth it. Such meat can be recognized by the light shade of fat and muscle veins.
- Before cooking, pour the main ingredient over with hot water, cut off the fat layer with a knife. Excess fat gives a specific smell, but it is not recommended to completely remove it, it affects the juiciness of the treats.
- Culinary experts advise baking in a sleeve or foil. Before sending into the oven and during baking, do not make punctures, otherwise the juice will drain and the meat will turn out to be too dry.
- To deliciously bake lamb, you need to correctly calculate the time. It takes no more than 40 minutes to prepare a kilogram piece of ordinary. In this case, the thickened part should be in the hottest place of the oven.
- Dry herbs are suitable for rubbing. To improve the taste, take homemade mustard, lemon juice, oregano and thyme.
- During baking, you can make a small incision and put in a sprig of rosemary.
We have already become acquainted with the basic subtleties of preparing a mutton leg, it's time to learn the recipes. In my lifetime, I repeatedly had to prepare this delicacy and managed to collect a selection of 4 delicious recipes.
How to cook a lamb leg in a sleeve
Baked leg of lamb. Agree, it sounds festive? New Year's holidays, anniversaries, birthdays, meetings, it is suitable for any celebration. A delicacy consisting of an appetizing crust, juicy softness and aroma of herbs will be the decoration of any meal. Having prepared the dishes in compliance with all the subtleties, you will make your guests and loved ones an excellent edible gift.
A lamb leg in a sleeve is an ideal combination of taste, aroma and beauty. If you put this treat on the table, I can assure you that the meal will become legendary. Italian herbs and spicy sauce will take care of this.IngredientsServings: - + 15
- lamb leg 1500 g
- honey 1 tbsp. l
- mustard 1 tbsp. l
- Italian herbs 1 tsp
- salt to taste
- Wash the main ingredient, dab with a napkin, cut off the fat with films. Grate with salt and herbs. I use thyme, basil and oregano.
- Combine honey with mustard, mix thoroughly. Coat the mutton with the resulting composition and place in the sleeve. Put the bag on a baking sheet, make a couple of punctures in it with a toothpick, otherwise it will burst right in the oven during baking.
- Send the baking sheet to the oven, preheated to 190 degrees. I recommend cooking for about 150 minutes. When the meat is browned, reduce the temperature by 10 degrees and continue cooking. If cooking a large leg, increase the cooking time by half an hour.
Lamb baked according to this recipe is extremely soft. Serve with vegetables, herbs and your favorite side dish, be it rice or potatoes, pre-watering with a sweet sauce pan. By the way, mutton fat hardens very quickly, so work on preparing for dinner in advance, until everything is baked.
Cooking in foil
Lamb meat is not listed in the list of products traditional for our country. Therefore, a foot in foil appears on the tables very rarely, and its preparation is a grand culinary event. I offer one recipe that will allow you to cook a non-standard dish for the next festive feast.Ingredients:
- Lamb leg - 2 kg.
- Prunes - 200 g.
- Beam - 1 head.
- Olive oil - 4 tbsp. l
- Carrot - 1 pc.
- Lemon - 1 pc.
- Garlic - 3 cloves.
- Mustard, spices, fresh parsley.
- Pour the meat with water, dry with a paper towel, and pickle. Some housewives use purchased mixtures, and I prepare the marinade myself, I will write recipes at the end of the article.
- In a small bowl combine the herbs of Provence, pepper, basil, chopped garlic, chopped stalks of parsley. Into the spicy mixture add olive oil with lemon juice and mix thoroughly.
- Cover the lamb leg with a thick layer of marinade, put in an airtight bag, pickle for at least three hours. Ideally leave overnight.
- In the leg, make several cuts and stuff with chopped parsley, garlic, slices of prunes. Lay on foil, coat with mustard, salt. Put the remnants of prunes, chopped carrots and onions next to them. It remains to wrap in food foil and send the pan to the oven, heated to 220 degrees.
- After about an hour and a half, reduce the temperature by 40 degrees. Periodically open the foil and pour over the juice that has accumulated in the pan. It usually takes 2 hours to cook. In the case of the old ram, increase the time.
I advise you to put the dish on the table in its entirety, and during the meal cut into portions. As a side dish I use vegetables, herbs, pilaf.
Lamb leg with vegetables
Baked lamb, flavored with garlic, thyme and tender sauce, an undeniable leader among meat delicacies. Moreover, with vegetables, she boasts a complete lack of a specific smell, which is characteristic of this type of meat. And most importantly, even a cook who has just begun to learn the intricacies of culinary art will prepare the sophistication.Ingredients:
- Ram leg - 3 kg.
- Potato - 10 pcs.
- Carrot - 8 pcs.
- Onion - 2 heads.
- Celery - 6 pcs.
- Garlic - 5 cloves.
- Meat broth.
- Dry red wine.
- Olive oil.
- Flour, mustard, rosemary, pepper, salt, thyme.
- Thoroughly cover the roasting pan with olive oil, cover the bottom with sprigs of thyme and rosemary. Top with a lamb leg, pre-salted and seasoned with pepper. Cover with parchment, leave for 2 hours.
- While the meat is pickled, prepare the vegetables - wash and peel. Dissolve the carrots, potatoes and celery stalks in half, and the onion into several pieces. Put the vegetables in a large bowl, add a little rosemary and olive oil, season with pepper, salt, mix, put in a roasting pan for meat.
- Send everything to the oven, preheated to 260 degrees. After a third of an hour, turn the vegetables over, be sure to reduce the temperature by 60 degrees and continue cooking for about an hour. Keep the process under control. If the vegetables reach their condition earlier, take them out and put them on a plate.
- When the meat is baked, make a sauce. Drain the remaining fat into the pan, add wine and boil until half the liquid evaporates. Then introduce mustard and broth. After stirring, strain, add flour, a spoonful of butter, salt and add spices.
Serve with vegetables chopped. Cut into thin slices at an acute angle, moving parallel to the bone. In doing so, do it in one motion with a sharp knife. Serve the sauce separately, and lamb meat with vegetables, garnished with greens.
Lamb leg in pastry
Each chef strives to cook delights that can cause admiration. Lamb leg in the test is included in the list of such dishes. Of course, creating a culinary work requires a lot of time.Ingredients:
- Leg - 2 kg.
- Garlic - 3 cloves.
- Flour - 750 g.
- Egg whites - 6 pcs.
- Egg - 1 pc.
- Salt - 2 tbsp. l
- Breadcrumbs - 100 g.
- Rosemary - 2 branches.
- Vegetable oil - 4 tbsp. l
- Parsley, laurel, pepper.
- Combine the flour with salt, chopped rosemary, whipped proteins, a small glass of water. After mixing, move the dough onto a table sprinkled with flour and knead well. Then wrap in tape and send to a cold place for an hour.
- Grind parsley with rosemary, garlic and laurel with a blender and add sunflower oil with bread crumbs to the resulting mass. Naturally, mix everything.
- With washed and dried feet, cut off the fat, grate thoroughly with a mixture of salt and pepper, fry in a pan on both sides for fifteen minutes.
- Roll the cooled mass into a layer of a centimeter thickness, cut off the third part, set aside. Put greased mustard leg on the dough, overlay with the mixture prepared earlier, bend up the edges. Top with a cut piece of dough.
- Cover with a thoroughly beaten egg, transfer to a roasting pan, send to bake. At 200 degrees, it will take an hour and a half. Grease the finished dish with butter.
Despite the two hours of time spent, the result more than compensates for your efforts with an unsurpassed taste and new experiences. Put a vegetable salad on the side dish. For example, Caesar salad.
10 marinade recipes
The length of time the meat stays in the marinade depends on its age. If the lamb is properly marinated, it will turn out juicy and soft.
Presenting marinade recipes for baking in the oven (each is designed for 1 kg of lamb). Each has passed the test of time and proven effective.
- With white wine. Add a glass of vegetable oil to a small container, pour in lemon juice, a little chopped parsley, add two leaves of laurel and two peas of allspice. Send carrots cut into rings and several onions chopped in half rings into the mixture. Pour a glass of white wine, mix, lower the lamb leg. Duration of pickling - at least a day.
- With vinegar. Cut the two medium onions into half rings, add five chopped cloves of garlic to them. Pour half a glass of olive oil, three tablespoons of vinegar, a sprig of rosemary, a little thyme, salt and pepper into the resulting composition. Marinate for about 12 hours.
- With lemon. Pour half a liter of water into a medium saucepan, add a spoonful of sugar, two chopped onions, lemon cut into 4 parts, a little laurel, herbs, cloves and salt. Cook the contents of the pan for a third of an hour, cool and dip the lamb in it. Duration of pickling - 6 hours.
- On kefir. Put two chopped onion rings, chopped parsley, cilantro, coriander and basil, half a liter of yogurt in a bowl for pickling. Mix. Marinate for at least 10 hours.
- With pomegranate juice. Combine a glass of pomegranate juice with 50 milliliters of vodka, add your favorite herbs and spices. In the resulting composition, lower the leg and marinate in a cool place for about 8 hours.
- With cognac. In a small bowl, mix three tablespoons of good cognac, two tablespoons of lemon juice, five tablespoons of vegetable oil, a little salt, black pepper and a mixture of herbs. Grease the washed meat with marinade and wait 30 minutes.
- On yogurt. Combine a glass of yogurt with two chopped cloves of garlic, two spoons of chopped mint leaves, a spoon of red pepper and paprika. Spread the lamb leg with the mixture and leave it in the cold for 12 hours.
- On a mineral water. Lower the lamb in a suitable container, add three chopped onion rings, a little parsley and dill, black pepper, salt. Pour with two glasses of mineral water, leave overnight in the refrigerator.
- With mustard. In a bowl, mix five tablespoons of olive oil, three tablespoons of mustard, chopped onion, several sprigs of rosemary, sliced lemon, salt and pepper. Keep the meat in the mixture for 8 hours.
- With honey. Combine half a glass of honey with 100 milliliters of vegetable oil, a similar amount of soy sauce, two chopped cloves of garlic. Salt, season with ground pepper. Pickle for 4 hours.
These marinade recipes are simple, do not require abstruse and expensive ingredients. You will find the best mix in a practical way. One thing I can say with confidence that these marinades should be looked at by people who like to make barbecue in nature.
To make the lamb leg soft and aromatic, marinate it first. For seasoning, use seasonings and spices. Culinary experts say that the taste perfectly improves paprika, ginger, mustard. You can use vegetables: bell peppers, carrots, potatoes and onions. Some options include the use of anchovies, lard and prunes.
Be sure to lower the temperature in the oven until the end of cooking, otherwise the meat will dry out. Cover with foil to fry evenly. Readiness is determined with a toothpick - if a clear juice of a light shade comes out of the puncture, the dish is ready.INFORMATION! Europeans serve baked lamb leg with Verde sauce. It is done elementarily. In a blender bowl put a clove of garlic, a few mint leaves, a couple of sprigs of parsley, two anchovies. Pour in a spoonful of wine vinegar, four tablespoons of olive oil. Grind everything.
I hope, thanks to today's story, you include this dish in the festive diet. Bon appetit and see you soon!